Monday 26 August 2013

Putting your money where your mouth is

I had a quick look at the odds for teams looking set for a possible promotion from the Championship to the Premiership after we have seen the results from the first thee games. Most of the bookies seem agreed that the front runners for promotion should be QPR, Watford and Nottingham Forest. With Watford and Nottingham Forest already occupying the top two places on Saturday, I suppose they have a slight advantage but Reading, Wigan and Leicester are ranked only just behind them in the odds to go up.

The best odds I could see for AFCB were about 11/1 with most predictions putting us to finish just outside the top 10 clubs. The good thing after this weekend was that AFCB's odds for promotion had eased out to 14/1 on Bet365, so if you feel that Eddie can repeat last year's feat in a harder division you are going to be quids in. 

I am open-minded as to where many teams will finish as it is early days. I do expect some surprises along the way and it would be good to see an unfancied team suddenly turn up in the top six at the end of the season. If we did not have an element of surprise it would be a pretty dull affair with those with the biggest pockets most likely to buy their way to the Premiership every season.

There are many variables that can make or break a season even if you do have the best team in the league. I don't always believe in things even themselves out over the course of a season and some times decisions do against your team, while injuries, managerial sackings and financial problems can seriously impact the end position or your team in the league.

I guess it is because I know that there is no such thing as a cert, nailed on winner that I shy away from parting with my cash on such things. Many fans will back their team even if the odds are heavily against them achieving anything other than staving off relegation, and I guess that is the true fanatic or optimist. At least we all know in any given match one team can beat another whether your club is at the bottom or the top of the league.

The day I bet on winning a free pizza though you can guarantee AFCB will come away with no points! That's really putting your money where your mouth is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tag: