Saturday 15 February 2020

Who is Bournemouth's most improved player?

This season has been a testing one for AFCB players. In such circumstances we have seen some players get more games than they might have expected at the start of the season, but picking out the player that has improved the most probably comes down to one of four players for me - although I could have suggested Philip Billing as a fifth choice.

Diego Rico is my choice.
I'd start in goal with Aaron Ramsdale. We perhaps didn't know exactly how good he was until  he started in the first team and he hasn't looked back. He is probably a shoe-in for many fans for player of the season, but I'd say his performances have been good throughout the season and he might not have surprised Eddie Howe as much as he has the fans. It's not as if his performances have suddenly become better since December, he's been top-class all the way through.


Advertisement

I think we can also look on Harry Wilson in a similar way. He has scored goals and has been amazing in his dead ball shooting. He may have learned quite a bit about his positioning and the shape of the team since coming to Bournemouth, but again I'd say he was a great player before he came as an international. He has just learned more about what it takes to be a top player in the Premier League, which is no doubt what Jurgen Klopp wanted him to find out.
Next up is Dominic Solanke for me. He has been getting a few minutes here and there, and when he did get a run of games he pushed his case as hard as he could. But a striker has to keep scoring goals and Solanke still has a way to go to reach the levels he needs to be a regular starter. So I wouldn't say he has improved enough yet.

Advertisement
The most improved player for me has to be Diego Rico. He was not considered a first choice left back when the season started but when Charlie Daniels had his injury against Man City, Rico stepped up and has been a breath of fresh air in a troubled season for the Cherries. His crossing has become metronomic and he seems to make up ground on opposition players when they have the odd yard on him. Once he has got back goal side he has proved hard to pass for opposition wingers and the only thing I'd say we are waiting for him to add to his game is getting his first goal. I'm hoping he manages that before mid-May.
Advertisement

Who do you think is AFCB's most improved player?

Previous post on Cherry Chimes - Callum Wilson can save his and Bournemouth's season

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you regarding Rico I also think that Stacey is one to watch if he plays enough games before the end of the season

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has to be Rico sat out for a threw games and settled in well now look at him he gives has good has he gets

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was obvious that Rico was already a class player, who simply needed to get up to speed with premiership intensity. I would also like to see him shooting more.

    ReplyDelete

tag: