Wednesday 15 July 2020

Rival Lines: 'I’m expecting us to lose, but I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if we did,' says City fan

Rival Lines
Match Preview: Man City v AFCB
Blogger Interview: One football
T@FussballDan

I asked these questions before Bournemouth played Leicester City and wasn't too optimistic that Bournemouth would have passed the 30 points mark. I spoke with Dan at One Football who is a massive Man City fan and is looking forward to seeing silverware this season for the sky Blues - quite a different season from what AFCB fans are experiencing.

CC: What is the common feeling on how Man City have played this season?

OF:  It’s been hugely disappointing league campaign from City. Before the start of the season I backed us to pick up at least 95 points and probably win the title again, but the best we can now end up with is 81 points.

We’ve lost nine games (more than Manchester United!) and dropped some really silly points. The defeat away to Norwich back in September still irritates me greatly and I’m actually surprised Pep Guardiola hasn’t come in for more criticism for the way City have surrendered the title to Liverpool, because I think it’s been quite embarrassing frankly.

Injuries to key players like Aymeric Laporte haven’t helped, and I suppose it was probably a lot to ask for them to play at such a high level three seasons in a row, but I’m hoping for much better in 2020/21.

CC: Who has been City’s best player?

OF: It’s been Kevin De Bruyne by quite some distance, although Sergio Agüero also deserves an honourable mention.

De Bruyne is just sensational when it comes to pretty much every aspect of the game. He’s the best midfielder in the world and probably only behind Lionel Messi in terms of the best players overall on current form.

I think he will win the PFA Player of the Year this year, and deservedly so.

Advertisement
CC: Would winning the Champions League this year make it the best ever?

OF: That’s a really good question because even though I really hope we win the Champions League this season, it won’t feel quite as good as it would have done if the games weren’t being played behind closed doors and we could celebrate it properly.

The fact it’s also going to be a truncated version of the competition with one-legged ties all played in neutral venues means it probably won’t be viewed as a “proper” Champions League win either.

So it will be lovely to win it, but it won’t come anywhere near to topping our first Premier League title win in my opinion.

CC: Where did it go wrong against Southampton?


OF: We didn’t put the ball in the net despite creating an incredible amount of chances. In fact, we had more shots against Southampton than Leicester did when they beat them 9-0 earlier in the season!

We’ve had a few games like that this season where we’ve dominated but not been able to score, and been beaten by a defensive error at the other end.

Given we’ve registered back-to-back 5-0 victories since the Southampton game, scoring goals isn’t something we’re overly concerned by at the moment, but Pep needs to put it right over the summer somehow.
Advertisement

CC: Who are you most scared of losing?

OF: Monday’s verdict by the Court of Arbitration for Sport that City won’t be banned from the Champions League means I’m a lot less worried about losing our best players this summer than I was.

The likes of De Bruyne, Agüero and Raheem Sterling seem happy where they are for now and though Leroy Sané’s departure was disappointing, it’s not the end of the world when all’s said and done.

It will be really sad to see David Silva leave this summer, though. The little magician is a bit past his best now but he’s arguably the club’s greatest ever player and it won’t be the same without him next season.

Advertisement
CC: Who is the most popular player at City with the fans now - Phil Foden?

OF: To be honest Foden has been popular with the fans since before he even made his first-team debut. He’s a local lad, a boyhood City fan and he’s absolutely class. What’s not to love?

There have been concerns at times that he wasn’t being used as often as he should have been and I wondered whether he might get itchy feet and want to go somewhere else, as happened with Jadon Sancho.

But Guardiola seems to be putting a bit more faith in him these days and with Silva leaving in the summer, I think next season will be Foden’s time to truly shine.

Advertisement
CC: Why have performances been so inconsistent?

OF: I really wish I had an answer to this question but I’m not sure even Guardiola himself could tell you.

I think failing to replace Vincent Kompany has been our biggest problem this season, especially after Laporte got injured.

The defence has been too flimsy, the midfield hasn’t been protective enough, and I think Sané’s injury deprived us of an extra option in attack.

That win over Liverpool was a great demonstration of what City are capable of, but the defeat to Southampton was the story of our season really.
Advertisement

CC: Are you surprised Bournemouth are in trouble?

OF: A little bit yes, because you seemed to have established yourselves as a pretty comfortable lower mid-table club and I would have backed you to stay up pretty easily before the season began.

I must admit I haven’t watched a great deal of Bournemouth this season, but I did see the recent Newcastle defeat and I was pretty alarmed by your performance that night.

Before the win over Leicester I wouldn’t have given you much hope of survival, but now you never know.

CC: Did Guardiola bring in enough players?


OF: As I mentioned earlier, I think not replacing Kompany was a huge mistake and one they need to rectify as a priority in the summer. We probably also need a new left-back as Benjamin Mendy can’t be relied upon week in, week out.

And I’m wondering if it might be time to bring in a striker as I’m not convinced by Gabriel Jesus, personally. But apart from that we have a great squad that’s capable of beating anyone on its day.

Advertisement
CC: Is there any hope for Bournemouth?

OF: Given City play Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday, I think there’s a good chance of Guardiola resting players for the Bournemouth game, so there’s some hope for you there.

The fact it’s also a massive game in terms of Bournemouth’s survival hopes but a dead rubber for City could give your boys the edge too. I’m not saying I’m expecting us to lose, but I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if we did.


CC: Wow, a Man City fan who thinks it is possible for them to slip up against lowly Bournemouth. Thanks Dan, I'll take any hope you can provide in what has been a desperate position for AFC Bournemouth. I suppose even a weakened Man City team will have players trying to prove a point to the manager tough and I think that could be the danger in this game. Man City are a good team whoever they put out and it is all for Bournemouth to do. Still, being the underdog has never  shaken Bournemouth and they'll try and rise to this game like it was a final.

Please take a look at One Football for some more excellent Football views.

Previous post on Cherry Chimes - Stanislas is so underrated

Premier Talk - is the impossible escape on for AFCB?

AFCBTV Preview



No comments:

Post a Comment

tag: