Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Bellusci's wonder goal kills off Cherries: AFCB 1 v 3 Leeds (fan videos)

Match report
AFCB 1 v 3 Leeds Utd
16 September 2014
Attendance: 9307
Leeds  made a real dent in AFCB's home record with a 1-3 win.
Many of the fans were saying 'deja vu' after this match as if it reminded them of the first home defeat of the season against Nottingham Forest. In many respects that was right in that the Cherries dominated play in the first 25 minutes and were ahead at half time, but they could not get the second goal to finish Leed Utd off. Instead it was the white who tussled and bossed the second half until AFCB faded. A wonder free kick from Giuseppe Bellusci had Lee Camp grasping at air for Leed's second goal, while a flag that never came saw Leeds grab a favourable score line for the Yorkshire club when it could have been very different.
The teams on their way out.
(Match Day Gallery will be up now and I'll also be on All Departments' podcast tonight to review the match - please tune in).

While Surman and Fraser had run the show in the first 45 minutes it was Leeds' Lewis Cook who was picking his passes and finding space in AFCB's back line. A draw seemed like a defeat in the last game but this was a better performance by the Cherries and yet Leeds simply came on stronger as the match went on and in the end the Yorkshire side were comfortable winners.

Eddie Howe made three changes as Ryan Fraser, Ian Harte and Andrew Surman came into the side and Marc Pugh, Charlie Daniels and Eunan O'Kane formed three of the subs. While AFCB set up 4-4-2, Leeds appeared to play with three up front at times as Billy Sharp, Souleymane Doukara and Mirco Antenucci looked to find a way through the Cherries' defence.

It was all Bournemouth though in the first 20 minutes with Steve Cook just failing to get on the end of a cross as early as the second minute. The high tempo was set by the Barmy Army chanting and Ryan Fraser was as busy as a bee on the left while Andrew Surman was carefully controlling play. The first goal came after six minuted when a cross from Fraser that was fired across the box came out on the right side and was fed back into Leed's box with Wilson knocking it back into Andrew Surman's path. Surman struck the ball beautifully from the edge of the box with his left boot and it curled accurately into the left hand corner of the net - 1-0 to the Cherries! 

The next moment to have the home crowd buzzing was when Matt Ritchie decided to go for a delicious high curling snap shot that saw Silvestri at his best to tip the shot over. The big chance though came for Callum Wilson after a pass through by Kermorgant. He managed to get in a position to round the keeper but saw the ball snatched away from him by Silvestri when it so easily could have been 2-0. You knew that the miss could be costly and it turned out to be that way.

By the half hour though Leeds were already having more of the play. Steve Cook was having to stretch for important headers while Arter started to hit a few wild passes. Tommaso Bianchi hit a shot well over, but Leeds were improving. Lewis Cook was already starting to make runs down the middle of the field and Tommy Elphick reacted quickly to halt him. 
Ground staff at half time.

Graham and Martin Hardwich are asked who 
Leeds should have as their next manager 
(apologies for some bad language).


Cherry Chimes Fan Cam talks to George to get his first
half verdict. He was not too impressed with Leeds.

We also talk to AFCB fan Dave.

The second half saw Leeds play even more positively with Rodolph Austin shooting from range. Andrew Surman and Harry Arter were no longer having so much influence. Jason Pearce seemed to be able to hold Callum Wilson in a grapple half of the time without the assistant referee seeming to care. 

It was Leeds pressing forward though with Lewis Cook making some impressive passes that only Cook was there to stop getting through to Billy Sharp on 53  minutes. Leeds were well in control by my reckoning by the hour even though they were 1-0 down. Ryan Fraser gave home fans a moment to sit on the edge of their seat when he fired in a shot that the keeper saved for a corner.

From there on in though it was as if AFCB had lost the battle in midfield. Leeds were able to hold up the ball and turn and an incisive pass from Tomasso Bianchi between Cook and Harte gave Doukara the opportunity to squeeze in his shot on the angle across Lee Camp to make it 1-1. Camp may have been disappointed that he didn't get something on the shot but the pass made the goal.

No changes from the bench from Eddie and most of us were starting to fear the worst. A misplaced pass by Fraser that landed cook in trouble almost saw Billy Sharp make the Cherries pay, but he shot wide. Fraser was subbed though on 69 minutes for junior Stanislas. Leeds did not make any changes until the 76th minute when Warnock and Sharp were replaced by Liam Cooper and Sam Byram. 

Bellusci picked up a yellow card with 10 minutes to go and it was good to see a decision go AFCB's way, but moments later when Leeds were breaking Francis adjudged to foul Rodolph Austin I believe and Leeds had a free kick. Even though it must have been all of 25 yards out, Bellusci hit a venomous kick that flew over the four-man wall and straight into the top left hand corner! 1-2 to Leeds and 82 minutes gone.

Arter again disappointed by chasing after the ball wildly only to pick up a yellow card for his desperation. Time was running out and Adam Smith and Brett Pitman were brought on with four minutes of normal time to go, while Ian Harte and Harry Arter made way. With the Cherries now playing three at the back, Leeds found their way out of defence and Doukara fed Mirco Antenucci just over the half way line with no Cherries player in sight and a distinct offside feel to the move, but there was no recall and Antenucci had no problem in beating camp to make it 1-3. Six minutes on extra time came and went and all AFCB fans could do is vent their anger at Andy D'urso who was escorted off the pitch.

The Cherries showed a lot of fight and passion and the type of intelligent play that they are renowned for in the first 20-25 minutes. The high tempo and speed of Fraser just were too much for Leeds to deal with, but they hung on in and bided their time. Surman was great for the early period but is short of matches while Arter was simply not accurate enough with his passing. This gave a full throttle Leeds Utd in the initiative in the second half and we could see it happening before the end of the first 45 minutes to be fair. Where Eddie goes from here I am not sure, because the team needs to get further ahead in games as they appear to stumble towards the end of games. Home form is also now an issue and the Cherries have to start looking to see how they can be more effective in front of goal before they take on second placed Watford in a few days time.   
All over. AFCB come up short again.
The officials are hurried off.
Leeds supporters.

Camp, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Harte, Ritchie, Arter, Surman, Fraser, Kermorgant, Wilson.


Flahavan, Smith, Pitman, Stanislas, Pugh, Daniels, O'Kane  

AFCB Ratings
Camp 5, Francis 7, Elphick 6, Cook 7, Harte 6, Ritchie 6, Arter 5, Surman 7, Fraser 7, Kermorgant 6, Wilson 6.

Leeds Utd
Silvestri, Warnock (Copper 76), Pearce, Beradi, Belluci, Doukara, Cook, Bianchi, Austin, Sharp (Byram 76), Antenucci.

Leeds Subs
Byram, Olivares Tavares, Taylor, Wotton, Tonge, Cooper, Sloth 

Ref watch: Andy D'urso 4/10


  1. good article i think bournemouth will do well this season just need to box a bit more clever. ps we are sorry for all those years ago

  2. Counte Of Monte Fisto17 September 2014 at 09:19

    Harsh hslufc I thought it was a good reflection of the game & fairly unbiased.
    Bournemouth was always going to be a hard game as they are a good side with a great young manager so an amazing win considering the first half shallocking we got. MOT

    1. This comment has been removed by the author.