Sunday, 28 September 2014

Cherries' hard work pays off against Wigan 2-0 (videos)

Match Report
AFCB 2 v 0 Wigan
27 September 2014
Attendance: 8754

When two teams that have not been hitting top form come together there is always a bit of apprehension to be felt in the crowd, and both AFCB and Wigan were in desperate need of getting a win in this match. However, the Cherries desire to win challenges and persistence in driving down the wings and getting crosses in eventually told against a Wigan side that was lacking in forward ideas, creativity and goal scoring chances for much of the match.
AFCB and Wigan line up.

Tommy Elphick and Emmerson Boyce ready for the coin toss.
More pictures can be seen on the Match Day Gallery page.

Eddie Howe just made the one change from the previous league match with Yann Kermorgant coming in for Eunan O'Kane. Steve Cook had recovered from the mid-week groin injury and took his customary position in the back four. Most fans were hoping that Dan Gosling might have made a start after his mid-week heroics, but he as kept in the bench for a late appearance. 

Wigan were quite a changed side from the previous Latics' side to visit Dean Court a year ago, but James Perch was given another outing and was probably hoping to be less charitable than he was last time he visited the Goldsands stadium. Led by Emmerson Boyce, though Wigan were more than capable of making it a difficult afternoon for the Cherries.    

AFCB had their now regular fast start winning a corner in the opening minute and Francis had an attempt at an early hit shot from outside the box, but he could only fire wide. Wigan set up 3-5-2 with Waghorn and Fortune trying to look for a chance of a breakaway, but it was Francis again who had the second shot that also went wide of Scott Carson's goal. Ritchie was next to put in a punishing cross which Carson smothered.

It was going less well for Wigan with an offside flag going up as soon as Fortune crossed the half way line. AFCB pressed on with another corner but were not stretching Wigan until the 15th minute when Yann Kermorgant, Ritchie and Junior Stanislas combined to force a series of blocks in front of the Wigan goal. The scramble forced Wigan into life and Fortune put in a good cross from the left wing to Adam Forshaw, and when he found Emyr Huws the crowd expected a shot or free kick as Tommy Elphick lunged in, but luckily Tommy did not make contact and Simon Francis was able to get in the way to clear the danger. 

We then saw Scott Crason slightly fumble a Matt Ritchie shot having made a good save at full stretch near his left post. Callum Wilson could not quite get there in time to capitalise on the small spill. The game was flowing more now, thanks to some good refereeing and Huws shot well over after some Wigan possession. 

Another flash point was Matt Ritchie's shot on 24 minutes from the left of the box which pinched the bottom of Wigan's left post! AFCB came even closer moments later when Yann Kermorgant hit a curling shot at goal after a cross from Simon Francis, but Carson pulled off a fantastic save to his left.

Wigan were not totally overshadowed though as Fortune forced Surman to concede a corner and Ivan Ramis had a free header which he couldn't get on target. It happened again moments later and it was lucky that Ramis was not making the space he was given. A poor pattern of play then saw Elphick get a yellow for holding back Fortune and Harry Arter picked up a card for a rash and late sliding challenge in the middle of the field. While Wilson kept making his runs to stretch Wigan's back four he had not managed to get a clear chance, but an opportunity did fall to Yann Kermorgant when Junior Stanislas put in a cross from the left and Yann out fought Kiernanat the back post, to head back across Scott Carson, and put the Cherries one up on 36 minutes.

Wigan had a good chance to equalise as the half drew to an end on 44 minutes as Surman gave away a foul, dead centre, on the edge of the D, after bringing down Huws. The chance was squandered though and on the break away Yann Kermorgant was brought down by Don Cowie, while the ref also went for a tumble having run into some players. Cowie picked up a yellow after a long discussion with between referee Gary Sutton and the assistant referee.

Chimes' Fan Cam: Daniel Taylor gives his views on how 
Wigan might do on the day against AFCB.

AFCB subs at half time.
Second Half
Harry Arter shoot well over in the opening minutes of the second half, while Wigan came back with Adam Forshaw on the right sending in a cross that Artur Boruc had to punch clear. Wigan seized possession and looked the more menacing for a while. Bournemouth had gained control again though by 55 minutes and a corner followed by a good ball by Ritchie through to Callum Wilson might have extended the lead, but for the saving clearance and Boyce's cover. Arter was involved again when he robbed Forshaw and went on a solo run through the middle before passing out wide to Wilson on the left. His cross only found Boyce though ahead of Stanislas. AFCB were looking for the second goal and Wilson almost had it, but for an offside flag, although Carson was equal to the shot on 62 minutes. Calls for a handball after a shot from Ritchie were also waved away by the referee. 

As the 66th minute approached, Uwe Rosler made a double substitution with Kiernan and Waghorn replaced by Oriol Riera and Leon Barnett. AFCB had another chance to score after Wilson was fouled by Ramis on the edge of the box. Junior Stanislas took the free kick and caused Carson to spill the ball, but he gathered quickly. The second goal came when Francis fed Ritchie on the right and his ball in towards the box was expertly dummied by Junior Stanislas (not wilson as the FLS would have you believe), leaving the ball for Kermorgant who sent it back towards Stanislas and Francis, coming in on the blind side to the right. Francis hit the shot and it sped into the back of the net on 69 minutes - 2-0 to the Cherries. A great team goal!

AFCB tried to extend the score still further with Callum Wilson almost connecting perfectly with his back heel after a corner, but it was saved by Carson. Yann Kermorgant was subbed for Eunan O'Kane on 74 minutes as AFCB looked to secure the points. 

Meanwhile, Wigan made their last as Andy Delort came on for Ramis. Bournemouth though kept the ball and pushed on with more corners. When Wigan did start to get more of the ball, Pugh was brought on to replace Junior Stanislas and the tricky winner set about running down the Wigan defenders with real determination that was applauded by his manager. Dan Gosling also came on for Harry Arter right at the end of normal time. Three minutes of extra time brought a free kick for Wigan that Delort took and he forced the first real save from Boroc of the match, but it was all over for Wigan as AFCB had recorded their second home win.

It was far from being the perfect or faultless performance that would have most AFCB supporter grinning from ear to ear, but it was a home win and a clean sheet - something that we have not see for a long while at Dean Court. Two goals to the good was a fair reflection of the game and for once we had a strong referee who was well in control of the match. This game was all about just getting three points in the bank. AFCB have played better and got nothing and on Tuesday night they will have to be a lot better. Simon Francis was by far the best player on the pitch, but the work rate of the team as a whole fed off his enthusiasm and AFCB are now looking up the table again.
A score we certainly needed.
Wigan and Bournemouth players thanking the crowds.
A good day's work for AFCB.
Boroc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Harte, Ritchie, Arter (Gosling 89), Surman, Stanislas (Pugh 84), Kermorgant (O'Kane 75), Wilson

Camp, Daniels, Pugh, Smith, Pitman, Gosling, O'Kane 

AFCB Ratings
Boroc 6, Francis 8, Elphick 6, Cook 7, Harte 6, Ritchie 7, Arter 6, Surman 6, Stanislas 7, Kermorgant 6, Wilson 6

Carson, Kiernan (Barnett 66), Ramis (Delort 76), Boyce, Perch, Huws, Forshaw, Taylor, Waghorn (Reira 66)

Wigan Subs
Tavernier, Riera, Maloney, Barnett, Al-Habsi, Kvist, Delort

Ref Watch: Gary Sutton 9/10 - easily the best referee of the season so far

No comments:

Post a Comment