Wednesday 7 February 2018

A week in the life of a Toronto Cherries Fan

John Lanari has very kindly written another article that he would like to share with readers of Cherry Chimes. 

In a previous article, I described how I became a live-and-die Cherries fan. Peter has asked for a follow-up on how a Cherries fan in Toronto spends game day. I am expanding that a little bit to describe the information that I have available to me – and it is quite a lot.

For context, we get about 75 per cent of all EPL games on cable television with a premium package. That also gets you some Bundesliga games, selected FA cup games, and the like. However, for CAD20 more per month, an enhanced package includes two-and-a-half hours of daily EPL analysis, anchored by Premier League Today, the remaining League games, and more Bundesliga. Some weeks, when the TV schedule is taken over by other sports, the League may be pushed to the networks’ streaming apps. So, I can say that I see every Bournemouth game, live, one way or the other. I was surprised to learn that that is not the case over there. The television coverage exists, so I am at a loss as to why it isn’t broadcast!


You can see the advantages of watching AFCB
from the warm of your own front room some days. 
Premier League Today is exactly what you would see, I suspect. Ninety minute segments include analysis by Matt Holland (ex-Bournemouth), Dion Dublin, Don Hutchison, Phil Neville, etc.. Game coverage uses UK announcers, and I do like it when we get John Champion or Tony Jones. I can also watch games not featuring AFCB, and there is always a rooting interest – typically against a team around us in the table, or better still, the occasional draw. There is no such thing as a relegation battle in North American sports.

Local analysts include names that you would recognize – Craig Forrest, Steven Caldwell, Danny Dichio – typically providing pre or post-game commentary and at the half. Support for AFCB has always been strong, based on the entertaining style of play, the “team first” approach, and the wizardry of Eddie Howe. Some doubt did creep in around Christmas this past year, when the comments went from “they have enough to stay up” to “we hope that they will stay up”. But the Cherries remain quite popular with the pundits and are recognized as “giving us a good game to watch”.

Because we are five hours behind you in the UK, Saturday mornings are especially sweet. Get up, record the 7:30 a.m. game, make a coffee, feed the cats, and listen to BBC Radio Solent for the latest news and starting XI. I especially enjoy John Williams and his take on the team. He was at his finest during the two Wigan games, registering absolute disbelief in what he was seeing. 


The 3:00 game (over there) is done by noon here, so, at least during golf season, I am at the course by 1:00, boring my golf buddies about the latest Cherries exploits. The typical non-football fan (and there are fewer now, with the evolution of MLS, and especially here in Toronto) will say “how can you get excited about a game that ends up 1-0”. I can honestly reply that very little in other sports compares with the tension of fighting for a goal to get a draw or preserving that lead down the stretch when every point is precious.

Online information is found on NewsNow, Vital Football and of course Cherry Chimes, all of which get at least one visit per day. Through Cherry Chimes, I have located a group called North American Cherries Overseas, for Cherries fans in Canada and the U.S. I will join that soonest. I have registered for Vital Football but have not yet managed to figure out how to post, so if someone wants to guide me, please drop me an email.

The one thing that I cannot get is conversation with friends over a coffee or a beer to discuss the latest AFCB events. And, of course, getting a ticket to Dean Court (the Vitality Stadium) may be nigh on impossible. But I’ll keep hoping!


You can email John at: jlanari@rogers.com

For those not braving the cold Yorkshire air this Sunday, live build up and TV coverage of Huddersfield v AFCB starts at 11.30am on BT Sport

Mobile users- annoying ads scrolling?
For those that are still having problems when loading Cherry Chimes on their phones with fast changing websites springing up in your Safari browser, please go to your phone settings and in the Safari app delete your browsing history and check other settings of that app do not have pops clicked on. This should clear the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tag: