Sunday, 6 January 2019

Bournemouth rotate themselves out of FA Cup

Match Report
FA Cup Third Round
AFCB  1 v 3 Brighton
Attendance: 10,522
Another early exit from the FA Cup for the Cherries.
Bournemouth called the changes with nine new names on the team sheet and a wayward shooting display that left Brighton in prime position to dump the Cherries out of the FA Cup. Missed chances by Jordan Ibe and Lys Mousset proved very costly as Brighton eased themselves into a 0-2 lead on 34 minutes. Marc Pugh halved the deficit at the start of the second half, before Andone headed in from a corner to see Brighton through to the fourth round.

The changes for Bournemouth included a debut for loan signing Nathaniel Clyne at right-back, while Kyle Taylor was given a start. There was no appearance for new signing Dominic Solanke.

The first half hour was dominated by Bournemouth who created some excellent opportunities to take the lead. Jack Simpson came close with a header in the first 10 minutes and Steve Cook similarly went close from a corner in the first 15 minutes, but headed wide.

Bournemouth's speed on the break with Ibe was causing problems, but they lacked calmness in front of goal and Ibe saw his run blocked when he had done so well to drive into the box. If he was misfiring though, Lys Mousset would have been more at home on a rugby pitch when he received the ball, off an Ibe blocked shot, right in front of the penalty spot that he shovelled his shot over the bar!

To make matters worse a Brighton beak saw Anthony Knoackert tuck in his shot from the right, through the legs of Steve Cook, and straight into the bottom corner. 

The goal knocked Bournemouth out of their stride and a run from Bissouma was not checked with the midfielder trying his luck from distance, and seeing Boruc slip and dive despairingly short of his shot that came off the post and nestled in the back of the net.

Locadia could have extended the lead, but headed wide from close range. Brighton would head into half-time with had a two goal lead.
AFCB were again playing catch up.
Second half
Bournemouth were determined to make a better show of it second half with Brooks coming on for Taylor and carrying the fight. Ibe had an early shot blocked for a corner. 

Ibe was again probing with a cross that Steele caught. Simpson was closing the back door with a great sliding tackle on Andone to win the ball. 

Meanwhile, Surman lost his bearings and sliced a ball horribly out of play on half way. Bournemouth were coming forward though and Ibe and Brooks were testing the Brighton defence, before Surman picked out Pugh. He cut in on his right foot and hit his shot right into the right corner of the goal from 18 yards.

A long ball almost caught Brighton out again when Ibe latched on to it, but had his shot blocked before Fraser drove a cross right across the box.

Brighton countered with Kayal driving a shot wide on 61 minutes. Ibe was seeing a lot of the ball, but his indecision was enabling Brighton to get in their blocks.

Brighton then won a header off of Simpson's headed clearance. The corner went to the back post and Duffy headed it back across the six yard box to Andone who headed in, with Boruc unable to keep the ball out with Steve Cook in close attendance.

Bournemouth were going out and the crowd were not impressed with Ibe seeing the ball go under his foot and out of play by the East stand. He was subbed moments later for Stanislas to come on after 70 minutes.

Lucadia had a blocked shot, before Bissouma shot well over. Lucadia was then subbed for Solly March on 73 minutes. 

Rico was finding it hard to get quick control of the ball and to make his crosses and when he did they were over hit. So Daniels replaced him on 79 minutes. Steve Cook played a good ball through to Mousset and forced a corner. Brooks then made a volley that Steele just managed to keep out before a defender cleared.

Pugh shot just over as Bournemouth searched for a goal. Surman was carded for a foul on Bissouma, but when Fraser was clipped by Bong and looked sure to get a shot off, the ball just ran out for a goal kick with no foul given.

Bruno was subbed for Montoya on 87 minutes. While Daniels won a late corner Steve Cook could only see his header saved by the keeper. Steve Cook picked up a yellow card after fouling Monoya and with the four minutes of added time Knockaert was subbed for Gyokeres.
Not a lot to cheer about at Dean Court.
It was not an ideal game for Nathaniel Clyne to make his debut. He was composed and showed some nice touches, but the forward players of Mousset and Ibe had little quality or confidence in front of goal. Brighton finished clinically where AFCB's players pondered and hesitated when near goal. Going a goal down and conceding another so soon after really hit Bournemouth hard and even a spirited short-lived comeback with a fine goal from Pugh left Bournemouth well short of what was needed to get something from the game. Howe will take criticism for the performance, but he was clearly restricted with his player choices when Josh King was unavailable and the bench was short of attacking players. Still, players like Jordan Ibe and Diego Rico have to start producing better performances than this if they are worth their place in this squad.

AFCB Subs: Travers, Mings, Daniels, Butcher, Dobre, Brooks, Stanislas
AFCB Ratings
Boruc 5, Clyne 6, S Cook 7, Simpson 5, Rico 4, Ibe 5, Taylor 5 (Brooks 8), Surman 5,
Pugh 7, 
Fraser 6, Mousset 5  

Cherry Chimes' MoM: David Brooks

Ref Watch Michael Oliver: 3/10 Didn't feel AFCB were given fouls when in and around the box.

Steele, Bruno (Montoya 86), Balogun, Duffy, Bong, Kayal, Stephens, Bissouma,
Knockaert (Gyokeres 90+1), Andone, Locadia (March 73)

Brighton Subs
Button, March, Montoya, Burn, Pröpper, Gyokeres, Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment