Sunday, 30 July 2017

Jordan Ibe slides in AFCB winner at QPR

Match Report
QPR 0 v 1 AFCB
29 July 2017
Attendance: 9386 (565 AFCB fans)

Stan Bowles walks around the ground at half time.
The Stan Bowles Commemorative match for Alzheimer's was fitted into AFCB's pre-season friendly fixtures just 24 hours ahead of the Valencia match, so fans expected Bournemouth to put out a bit of a mixed team in terms of experience. While none of the new signings were on show, it was last year's record signing Jordan Ibe who left the pitch with the biggest smile, having given AFCB the win with his 40 minute strike. The game was not littered with many goal scoring chances, but Lys Mousset was denied by the legs of Alex Smithes half way through the second half and Bournemouth had a late scare when Aaron Ramsdale, making his first team debut, made a brilliant 90 minute save when QPR had a late free kick. The Bournemouth fans could not only applaud the win, but the satisfaction that four U23 players were on the pitch come the end of the game.
A busy Loftus Road in pre-season.
Eddie Howe put Simon Francis at right back and selected Baily Cargill and Tyrone Mings to play as centre-backs. Lewis Cook and Andrew Surman filled the midfield and Lys Mousset and Josh King carried the attack to QPR.
ArturBoruc was out first.
AFCB take to the pitch.
Early sprints.
Bournemouth began with a Gradel break down the left, before he swept the ball back to Josh King to hit a lifting shot over the bar. The afternoon did not begin so well for Artur Boruc who took a back pass from Tyrone Mings and fired it straight to Pawel Wszolek, but the ball luckily rebounded back to the keeper.

QPR also had a great chance when Wszolek crossed for Matt Smith in the box with his back to goal, but as he shot on the turn he skewed his shot wide. It was more calamity from Boruc who failed to catch a deep cross from the right wing, but he escaped any punishment. Luke Freeman was targeting Matt Smith in the Bournemouth box, but Smith would head wide when challenged by Cargill.
The overcast skies soon led to the rain and conditions were perhaps not their best for the players, but Matt Smith made a good run pulling wide through the centre-backs and saw a shot go just past Boruc's left post. AFCB's defence had been caught wide open.

Lewis Cook then put Jordan Ibe in a favourable position, but the winger shot wide on an acute angle after 25 minutes. Lys Mousset was also looking to score, and attempted a scissor kick from a Francis' cross as we passed the half hour mark.

Ibe broke the deadlock about 10 minutes later, after Gradel had put in a low cross from the left that Lys Mousset had stretched for, but hecouldn't quite put away. The ball ended up with Ibe on the right and headed straight back at goal and beat the QPR keeper on the angle to make it 0-1 at half time.

Half time score.
Second half kick off.
Second Half
The second half saw Joel Lynch replaced by Darnell Furlong. Lys Mousset was again enterprising around the QPR box trying to make a one-two with Lewis Cook, but it didn't quite come off. Tyrone Mings was controlling at the back with his towering headers while Cargill looked supremely comfortable.

Max Gradel was getting forward well, but saw many of his shots blocked. AFCB might have grown their lead when Ibe's cross from the right was volleyed over by a hurtling in Lys Mousset at the far post on 55 minutes.

Ian Holloway then made several subs, Freeman was replaced by Manning, Borysiuk replaced Scowen, Sylla replaced Smith and Ngbakoto came on for Robinson.

QPR had a free kick soon after in a good position with AFCB putting up a two-man wall, but Massimo Luongo belted the ball way over the bar, which amused AFCB fans.

King found a problem with his right foot and was replaced by Karl Taylor on 61 minutes. Soon after Gradel swept a good ball through to Lys Mousset, who was left with Smithies to beat, but the keeper made a good save with his legs, much to Mousset's annoyance.

Max Gradel did even worse a few minutes later blazing high in the stands with his attempt.

QPR kept making changes with Wszolek replaced by Petrasso on 67 minutes. Perch was also subbed for Goss four minutes later. AFCB also subbed Boruc for Aaron Ramsdale to get a taste of first team football with about 18 minutes to go. Jordan Ibe was also replaced by Sam Surridge on 82 minutes. Surman also left the field on 87 minutes to give Worthington a few minutes.

QPR's last chance came very close to an equaliser when a free kick from 25 yards curled over the wall and Ramsdale pushed it on to the post before he reclaimed it safely.

Bournemouth had a bit too much quality for QPR when it came to the nifty possession keeping, but the Londoners had times when some better crossing would have been profitable for them. QPR also wasted many of their free kicks and Boruc and Ramsdale were not greatly tested. AFCB could well have run out better winners if their final passes had been more accurate, but the score line was perhaps hard on QPR, and while the players got through more minutes it was noticeable that there were some tiered legs by the time 70 minutes passed.
Eddie Howe chats with Andrew Surman after the game.
Aaron Ramsdale had a fine spell on the pitch and so did Karl Taylor.
Boruc (Ramsdale 72), Francis, Mings, Cargill, Daniels, Ibe (Surridge 82), L Cook, Surman (Worthington 87), Gradel, King (Taylor 61), Mousset 

Ramsdale, Simpson, Cornick, Butcher, Surridge, Whitfield, Worthington, Harfield, Taylor
AFCB Ratings

Boruc 4 (Ramsdale 6), Francis 6, Mings 6, Cargill 6, Daniels 6, Ibe 6 (Surridge 5), L Cook 7, Surman 6, Gradel 6, King 6 (Taylor 6), Mousset 7.

Smithies, Onouha, Lych, Freeman (Manning 57), Washington (Mackie 57), Scowen (Borysiuk 57), Smith (Sylla 57), Robinson (Ngbakoto 67), Luongo, Wszolek (Petrasso 67), Perch (Goss 71)

QPR sub
Ingham (not used)

1 comment: