Wednesday 24 October 2018

"Money has change the game," says Tad MacDougall

Sponsored Article


Coaches have got it difficult these days and they need to be able to cope with all kinds of players and you have to be a superb motivator. It's a shame Eddie Howe is one of only a handful of British managers in the Premier League now I said to Ted. It was very different in your day having played under the likes of Bill Shankley, Ron Greenwood, Tommy Docherty and John Bond.

"Yeah, the game is different it's global you are dealing with not just different temperaments but cultures as well. I'don't know there's a lot more to it and the money. You know it's very difficult to motivate a millionaire maybe, you know what I mean? As opposed to trying to frighten players because you need the money. You know, you'd better get your so and so game together or else you'll be out. Well that's my mortgage. Players then were no different from anybody else. But now you're earning whatever they are earning.
It wasn't about the money for Ted MacDougall.

"Someone said to me would that change you? I said are you kidding? I said I was an idiot without money, I can't believe what I'd be like with money," said Ted.

But was it hard to keep a level head at Man United when you were there with players like George Best? "I'll tell you a story about George. I remember George turning down a £20,000 contract for boots or something where all he had to do was fly down on a private plane or something to London to sign it and he was like to hell with it, I'm not going down there to sign it. George and that we were never on massive money. I suppose the maximum wage was £1000 or something.

"You can't compare it. When I was at Bournemouth the maximum I might be on £100,000 plus maybe. I mean, come on. Today you'll pay your 50 per cent tax and still clear £50,000 or something a week - £200,000 a month and you'll be what do I do with it? What will I do with the money this week? Shall I wait another week and buy a yacht or a house in Canford Cliffs or something? I never earned that in 10 years, near enough.


If you would like to read more about Ted MacDougall's career and his amazing football tales make sure you pick up a copy of Neil Vacher's Ted MacDougoal! from Pitch Publishing, with its new Reflections chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tag: