Monday 22 October 2018

You can be at AFCB, Man Utd or elsewhere but strikers have to score

Sponsored Article

In his new paper back biography 'Ted MacDougoal!', there is a new chapter at the end of the book on Ted's reflections – past and present, where he talks about the modern game and how it has changed at the clubs where he used to play his football. I was intrigued what he thought about headed goals today.

Ted MacDougall was well known for the diving header and headed goals. It was a bit of a signature for him. But asking him about why there doesn't seem to be so many great headed goals these days in the possession football we see and immaculate pitches, he has plenty of answers for that, but he is convinced even the biggest teams resort to knocking it up to the big man when things aren't going for them.
Ted MacDougall chats to Cherry Chimes at Dean Court.
"It's a lot to do with the pitch. You look at some of those old photographs of the pitch and  try and put five or 10 passes together. I mean you had to kick it from there to there via route one to get the ball into the box and crosses and that. It's a lot simpler game today.

"But if you see Manchester United struggling then they go to that game. They put Mario Fellaini on and he'll go up front. And they'll start playing balls in the box, because at the end of the day, I still think the ball has to come in," said Ted.

Ted left Bournemouth to go to Man United in 1972. It was a jump for him from the third tier to the first division, not something a player is likely to do today. "It was still Man Utd. We were still getting 50-60,000. I ended up getting £10 a week raise. But they were all coming to the end. George (Best) had gone missing, Bobby Charlton was finishing, Dennis Law was finishing. It was in transition the whole club and were were about fourth or fifth from the bottom. We weren't a good team and it was survival mode sort of thing for players where the players were looking out for themselves. They weren't bothered about me.

Advertisement
"I needed people to see my runs or I was never going to score goals. It was not like I could dribble past people or  whatever. I wasn't that type of player. If you saw my runs and my movement and you delivered it. You know then you'd hopefully get the best from me. If you never saw the run or you never played the ball then or early enough then I'm not going to be in it," said Ted.

I asked Ted whether it was possible that a league One player today could even dream about making a similar move to the Premier League, like he did in his day. It would be impossible wouldn't it?

"When I went from Bournemouth to Man United that was the record then for a third division player to go to Man Utd – £200,000 or £220,000 or whatever it was. And I think it can happen  to a goal scorer for obvious reasons. The trouble is, if you are a goal scorer and you are scoring goals – you are on the move, and if you're a goalscorer that's not scoring goals – you're also on the move," chuckles Ted.

"I find it's not the same today, because I used to say, if I'm scoring goals you should be picking me, and if I'm not scoring goals, you have to leave me out. I don't  see anyone saying those types of thing today. You know with regards to putting things on the line and saying I'm a goal scorer, I score goals. Jermain Defoe has probably been one of the closest, because he's a goal scorer," said Ted.

"You have to be selfish to be a goal scorer - 100 per cent. More than selfish, no, no I mean you have to be very single-minded and that's why it always makes me think, when people say this is a team game. You know people are in the team for different reasons. He's a young lad trying to make it. You're an old pro trying to get another year's contract. Everyone is in there for different reasons. Of course, you state the obvious that you are in there to win, but you know when we win and I score we collectively do well. Or vice a versa. "

You want to get the headlines though, I suggest. "Yes, I do because that was my job," said Ted.

If you would like to read more about Ted MacDougall's career and his amazing football tales make sure you pick up a copy of Ted MacDougoal with its new Reflections - past and present chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tag: