Sunday, 16 October 2016

Hull-timate performance from Cherries 6-1

Match Report
15 October 2016
AFCB 6 v 1 Hull City
Attendance: 11,029

It was hard to mask the smiles on Eddie Howe's and the fans' faces when leaving Dean Court after having see AFCB obliterate a Hull City side that might now have to reevaluate their season. But it was the Cherries that can look optimistically at the table after this performance, which could have seen more than six goals go past the luckless David Marshall who was bending down to pick the ball out of the net all too frequently. Charlie Daniels got AFCB off to an early lead and while Steve Cook's blunder set up a Hull equaliser, the defender soon rectified his mistake with a strongly headed goal himself. A Callum Wilson won penalty was also blasted home by Junior Stanislas to make it 3-1 before half time. Second half goals from Stanislas, Wilson and Gosling then wrapped up AFCB biggest ever Premier League win.
Captains in the middle.
Mike Phelan had just been named the permanent manager at Hull City earlier in the week, but he may be having second thoughts about taking the position after this display. He met a Bournemouth side that named an unchanged starting 11 from the Watford game and there were places for Ryan Fraser, Tyrone Mings and Josh King among the substitutes. The missing names included, Max Gradel who returned from the international break with a slight hamstring pull, while Lewis Cook will be out even longer with an ankle injury and Brad Smith could have potentially broken a bone in his foot, said Eddie Howe.

Hull had Elmohamady return from suspension at right back, striker Will Keane and centre-back Harry Magurie made their Premier League starts and Shaun Maloney was back in the side on the left wing.
Hull City in an unusual coloured kit.
There are more pictures on Match Day Gallery.

The immediate man to watch was Jordan Ibe who too it upon himself to try and dismantle the Hull City defence on his own from the start. He could not find a way to pass to Jack Wilshere or get a shot off himself but when Charlie Daniels took a shot it was blocked.

Another opportunity soon arrived in the first five minutes though when Adam Smith was fouled by Robertson on the edge of Hull City's box. Up stepped Junior Stanislas who struck the woodwork only for his shot to rebound to Daniels who hit an unstoppable left foot volleyed that put the Cherries one up.

Hull came right back with Mason hitting a drive wide of Bournemouth's goal. AFCB were confident with the ball and started to enjoy their possession, Surman occasionally dropping deep as Francis or Cook would lead the ball out of defence.

Jordan Ibe had another shot blocked on 12 minutes, before a Sam Clucas cross gave Surman a heart stopping moment before he got the ball out of the box.

Ibe was driving right for Hull's goal again within an instant and yet still could not finish his run with an end shot. Surman was busy organising the defensive shape of the team. Adam Smith was more concerned with staying on his feet as Clucas earned the first yellow card by up ending Smith.

Again Ibe was making things happen, and he next slipped the ball from the left wing to Wilson who got across Davies, and his shot came off the bar. Ibe was proving a real handful and had another shot that just cleared the bar. 

Meanwhile, Wilshere was finding it hard to get involved and when he did he gave the ball away a couple of times. Another AFCB free kick saw Arter try a speculative looped prod back into the box that Marshall caught without too much fuss. But it was all positive for AFCB up until now even if the drizzle was getting stronger.

AFCB's next attempt that came from Junior Stanislas who drove a vicious shot across the Hull City keeper towards the top left corner, but Marshall must have got a touch as the net did not ripple and a corner was awarded. This was terrific stuff from AFCB now, Francis planting a low ball in for Stanislas to dummy for Wilson to shoot at the keeper.

Then the hic cup came! After an initial cross that Robertson had made the ball went out for a goal kick, but from the goal kick, Cook gave the ball straight to Snodgrass instead of Daniels, and Ryan Mason pounced trying a speculative drive from 25 yards out. The centrally struck shot deflected back off Steve Cook and sped past Boruc for the equaliser on 34 minutes.

Arter fought to try and get AFCB going forward again but was taken down from behind by Robert Snodgrass who received a yellow card. Arter held his knee for some time and while he played on it was a heavy knock. Stanislas took the free kick over the wall that Marshall clung on to well enough.

Arter went down again needing attention to his left knee, but he kept going after some attention. On the resumption Jack Wilshere who had been doing better was taken down by Maloney. The free kick was not far over the half way in front of the dugouts, and a precise ball in from Stanislas was picked out perfectly by Steve Cook's header that sailed into the Hull City net - 2-1.

With half time approaching, Callum Wilson then drew a foul from Robert Snodgrass, who took the back of the Bournemouth striker's legs from underneath him in the box - penalty! Junior Stanislas was the designated penalty and he confidently spanked the ball, down the middle and into the top of the net 3-1.
All sweet at half-time.
Second Half
AFCB came out a bit slow in the second half and Hull City were ding their best to get back into the game. Steve Cook put the pressure back on Hull though when a corner routine he tried to organise kind of fell apart, only he kept his eyes on the ball and made Marshall pull out another good save from his well directed header.

Hull City subbed Maloney for Huddlestone on 54 minutes and soon after Robertson took down Arter who had tried to play on but he lost his footing and Robertson was in the book. Jack Wilshere decided he would have a problem stoping in time when chasing down a forward pass and ended up swinging head first over the hoarding boards, before Livermore gave him a helping hand back. A crucial tackle from Simon Francis followed as Mason ran through the centre and towards goal - Francis pointed that he got the ball and the referee agreed. 

Back at the other end Wilshere fed Ibe a great ball but the ex-Liverpool man skewed bis shot wide of the left post in the last action of the game for him. On came Josh King on the right wing and his impact was soon seen. While Hull subbed Robertson for Diomande, King and Smith combined on the right wing to get some space and Smith's deep cross found Stanislas free on the far side of the box. Junior had time to measure his shot and he drilled it past Marshall for a 4-1 lead.

A miss kick from Francis almost handed Hull a way back in, but Diomande could not quite make the most of the chance in trying to hold off Francis and beat Boruc on the angle - a corner was the best he could do. Sam Clucas made an attempt at a volley from the corner which landed somewhere over the Ted MacDougall stand.

Steve Cook received some attention for a head wound, before Meyler replaced Mason for Hull City and Jack Wilshere was subbed for Dan Gosling for AFCB. The stoppage was good for the Cherries as a well crossed right side ball from Josh King was powerfully met by Callum Wilson who headed in for 5-1.

Hull hadn't quite given up and Tom Huddlestone brought a low save out of Artur Boruc. Wilson then departed for Benik Afobe to get a few minutes.

The goals hadn't stopped though. Another move down the left from Daniels saw him canter pas three defender before slipping a pass to Gosling who snapped his shot from the centre D past Marshall to make it 6-1. Mission complete!
6-1 at the end.
Marshall has had better days.
A high intensity performance from the Cherries
This was a great afternoon for AFCB fans and yet I came away thinking there were one or two individuals who could have had stronger games. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, AFCB will have tougher tests than this starting next Saturday. Hull City were poor. Still, the teams could easily have been in at 1-1 at half time. The two goals at the end of the first game were massive.

AFCB had used the international break to sharpen up in front of goal and even if there was a goal that they conceded from a misplaced pass, the overall rhythm and control of AFCB's was at times a joy to watch. They will improve further and perhaps one or two who were less than impressed with AFCB's goal total (I include myself) will see that the team is working on the weaker parts of its game. 
Adam Smith marches off with Hull players behind.
Eddie is happy with that.

Boruc, Smith, Francis, Cook, Daniels, Surman, Arter, Stanislas, Wilshere (Gosling 79),
Ibe (King 62), Wilson (Afobe 86)

AFCB Substitutes
Federici, Gosling, Aké, Afobe, King, Fraser, Mings

AFCB Ratings
Boruc 7, Smith 9, Francis 8, Cook 7, Daniels 8, Surman 8, Arter 8, Stanislas 9,
Wilshere 7 (Gosling 7), Ibe 8 (King 7), Wilson 7 (Afobe 5)

Hull City
Marshall, Elmohamady, Maguire, Davies, Robertson (Diomande 63), Livermore, Clucas, Mason (Meyler 78), Snodgrass, Maloney (Huddlestone 55), Keane

Hull Substitutes
Jakupovic, Meyler, Huddlestone, Hernández, Weir, Diomande, Henriksen


  1. I miss Marc Pugh.

  2. I wonder what Alan has to say about this