Sunday, 19 November 2017

10-men Bournemouth celebrate with Wilson hat-trick against Huddersfield 4-0

Match Report
AFCB 4 v 0 Huddersfield
18 November 2017
Attendance: 10,879
Callum Wilson with the match ball.
Bournemouth are making a habit of beating newly promoted sides. The Cherries may have had a slow start to the season, but they are going through the gears with Callum Wilson spearheading the attack, the goals are starting to flow. Huddersfield Town certainly made thing difficult early on and they fought hard to win first balls and knock downs, but they defended poorly and Wilson took full advantage. The first goal from a corner broke the ice, and from then Wilson gleefully put the second in after a free kick that had him totally free at the back post. Even the second yellow for Simon Francis could not slow the eagerness of the Bournemouth players to get a result and Harry Arter wrapped the game up when he slice open Huddersfield defence again to get his first goal of the season. There was still time for Wilson to complete his hat-trick and send Bournemouth fans home very happy indeed.
Bournemouth and Huddersfield before the game.
Eddie Howe kept the same winning line up from the Newcastle game and that meant Josh King was judged fit enough to play. While Benike Afobe replaced Jermain Defoe on the bench.

Huddersfield fan Steve gives his pre-match views.

More pictures are on Match Day Gallery.

Bournemouth began in hesitant fashion with Asmir Begovic kicking straight to the opposition. Huddersfield were making great strides with Hadergjonaj whipping in crosses from the right. The first shot came in from van La Parra, but Begovic made a terific save going down to his right at great speed and tipping the shot away.

Just as alarming was the work of former Cherry Scott Malone on Huddersfield's left wing, who created a shooting opportunity after taking a pass from Mooy, beating Begovic but in excusably sending his shot wide of the right post on 10 minutes. What a let off!

We hoped this would wake Bournemouth up, but it only gave Huddersfield's players more confidence. Van La Parra stole in on the left with Ibe and Francis failing to shut the door on him and AFCB were lucky to escape by just conceding a corner. A good break from Callum Wilson took the game up the other end then, where the Cherries would get their first corner on 11 minutes off Scott Malone. Arter hit a shot fro the resulting corner into the South stand. 

Francis was not having the best of games, missing a tackle on Malone. Aké too was under pressure having to try and win headers against the tall Depoitre.

Huddersfield were winning every ball and La Parra volleyed wide before King made a good turn in the box, despite the persistent shirt pulling, and Wilson flung himself at the near post and was just kept out from scoring. King had an air shot from the corner as Hiuddersfield escaped. Daniels was then lucky to escape a booking or a foul when he went in on Hadergjonaj. Bournemouth kept winning corners and when Wilson rose early on 26 minutes to beat Lössl, and put the Cherries ahead, it was very much against the run of play. Mooy just hadn't got up for the header after jostling with Wilson, and it cost his team

Steve Cook was booked shortly after the restart for a foul on Kachhunga, but it was not to be the last booking of the day. When Pugh won a free kick on the left side, a well taken cross found Wilson alone at the back post and he fired home his and Bournemouth's second from 10 yards out. The Huddersfield defenders had all been sucked in and Callum could not believe that he had so much freedom to score - where was Craine?

The game had totally turned round after half an hour. Ibe was still continually losing the ball and turning into trouble, but there was more appetite from Arter and King at winning the ball, but King would shoot wide. Francis picked up a yellow card for a shove on van La Parra as Huddersfield started to mount a real challenge to get back into the game. A couple of corners could have given them the goal they needed when Craine lost control at the vital moment and saw the ball cleared from right in front of him when he was staring down at Bournemouth goal just six yards out.

Bournemouth suddenly added the swagger to the game with a great move from Daniels and Pugh, up the left, which led to a Surman drive that was headed for the top right corner before Lössl made the save. Steve Cook shortly after followed up with a powerful shot that just zipped over the bar from a good distance out.

Jordan Ibe was subbed for Adam Smith. Ibe had been down holding his left knee earlier in the game, but he had been playing poorly anyway. Arter then pulled back Tom Ince and was immediately carded, which made it more infuriating later in the game when Huddersfield players got away with the same foul. Scott Malone shot wide again just before added on time. It was then that Simon Francis appeared to get away at first with a late challenge on van La Parra on the half way line, but it looked like the fourth official intervened and Lee Probert decided it was a second yellow and a red for Bournemouth's captain! He had to go.
Lee Probert does well to hide himself.
A great score at half down but AFCB are a man down.
Second half
Bournemouth lined up with King dropping into midfield and just Callum up top. It was Huddersfield who made a sub at half time with Williams being replaced by Mounie. 

Referee Lee Probert began to lose the plot even more in this half. He had already been lenient on some blatant fouling on Wilson and Adam Smith was caught by Kachunga right in front of him but no free kick was awarded. Even more rage worthy was Pugh's yellow card came out of thin air just for implying that he had won a throw, but Probert gave the throw to Huddersfield and booked Pugh. Bournemouth players were incensed. 

Huddersfield made a double sub by bringing off Craine for Sabiri and Kachunga for Quaner on 61 minutes. We knew the second half would be tortuous but it was becoming a joke with the refereeing decisions. 

Aké did not lose his head though and made an outstanding tackle on Mounie to stop him from shooting 10 yards out. Bournemouth won a free kick around half way when it was taken quickly by Arter and King drove up the left and into the box, before the ball was won by Scott Malone. Malone only ran into Harry Arter though, just outside the box, he cut back inside on to his left leaving two Huddersfield defenders, Mooy and Jorgensen, scrambling, before sweeping his shot to the left and low past Lössl to make it 3-0 on 70 minutes.

Begovic was kept busy with Huddersfield corners but Adam Smith was also on though end of things being pulled back by Malone and not even getting a free kick. Even more amazingly the referee gave nothing when Wilson was up against Hadergjonaj and recived a push in the back just outside the box. Huddersfield were still throwing what the could at Bournemouth, but Mounie could only fire straight at Begovic.

The game was well and truly up when King and Wilson engineered another opening with King beating van La Parra, Mooy and Malone, before passing to Wilson for his hat-trick on 84 minutes. Jubilent Bournemouth celebrations broke out. 

Quaner was then carded for fouling Wilson and Bournemouth took King off to put Gosling on. While a header from Sabiri from a corner went wide, AFCB looked comfortable now. Arter was subbed for Lewis Cook and Hadergjonaj was booked for fouling Wilson.

Pugh put another chance wide before a great move in added on time saw Pugh and Wilson cause all sorts of problems for Huddersfield on the left with Wilson finally trying to square the ball for Gosling when he could have shot himself. Not that it mattered - four goals was more than enough on the day for Huddersfield.

Thee points for the Cherries.
While Bournemouth have played better than this it was the best home result of the season. It was made easier by Huddersfield losing their way a bit when they went 2-0 down, but if they had scored the next it would have been a tighter game. The Cherries also got the decisions at times in that Daniels got away with a rash tackle before the first goal and the second goal looked offside on playback. Still Bournemouth took their chances. They still need to start games better than this, even if they are turning into a strong second half outfit and on this afternoon they did that with 10 men. A suspension for Francis is not helpful, but a clean sheet and back-to-back wins made it another special day. With Wilson and King staying fit Bournemouth look a very different prospect and it's very pleasing to see the points really starting to flow now. Keep the goals coming Callum!

Dan Gosling grabs hold of goal hero Callum Wilson at the end of the game.
Wilson enjoys the moment.
AFCB Ratings
Begovic 8, Francis 4, S Cook 6, Aké 8, Daniels 6, Ibe 5, Surman 6, Arter 7, Pugh 7, King 7, Wilson 9

Cherry Chimes' MOM Callum Wilson

Boruc, A Smith, Gosling, L Cook, Fraser, Mousset, Afobe

Huddersfield Town
Lössl, Hadergjonaj, Jorgensen, Cranie (Sabiri 61), Malone, Mooy, Williams (Mounie 45),
Kachunga (Quaner 61), Ince, van La Parra, Depoitre

Huddersfield Subs
Coleman, Smith, Whitehead, Sabiri, Löwe, Quaner, Mounie

Referee Watch: Lee Probert -3/10 - He really had a really awful game, even though he got the sending off right or rather the fourth official did.


  1. Wilson King Ake were truly magnificent.
    Francis... time is catching up with him. We must sign a new RB and Right centre half. Arter was very fortunate in escaping a second booking. Lewis Cook should be starting. Time to blood Simpson v Swansea. I wonder where this now leaves Defoe?
    Also credit to Tindal in ultimate gamesmanship by withdrawing the ball boys behind the barriers to slow the game down.
    The result may have been harsh on Huddersfield but without taking presentable chances they will continue to struggle, reminds me of Hull.

  2. This is the third time we have had Lee Probert over the past 6-7 months. All three games have had some dubious decisions, but the big ones went our way. Burnley, Stoke and now this one. We have to take the rough with the smooth.