Saturday, 10 December 2016

AFCB's comeback not enough determined Burnley side 3-2

Match Description
Burnley  3 v 2 AFCB 
10 December 2016
Attendance: 19,680 (Including 1429 Cherries)

Image taken by James Williamson of the Bournemouth Echo.
AFCB came to Turf Moor perhaps feeling invincible after last week. They certainly gave themselves the proverbial mountain to climb going 2-0 down in 16 minutes. The fight back started before half time with a goal from Benik Afobe that was beautifully created, but a third goal from Boyd killed off AFCB's momentum. It may have been different had Benik Afobe's disallowed goal stood, but just a consolation from Charlie Daniels made the score more respectable as Burnley hung on to their win.

Three changes for the Cherries saw Charlie Daniels return and a starting places for Ryan Fraser and Benik Afobe, while Jack Wilshere was left on the bench along with Josh King and Jordan Ibe. The surprise was to see Afobe start alongside Callum Wilson, pushing Jack Wilshere onto the bench with AFCB lining up 4-4-2. Eddie Howe indicated that three games in eight days had an impact on his team selection for this game. Adam Smith lined up on the right wing with last week's hero Ryan Fraser on the left.

Tom Heaton returned for Burnley along with Sam Vokes and Steven Defour.

Broom Hill Garden Buildings

Match Description
AFCB lined up in their third kit and Burnley kicked off. Hendrick went over in the box from a challenge from Harry Arter after some early Burnley high balls, but Martin Atkinson did not point to the spot. AFCB started to come forward with Adam Smith racing up the right wing and Dan Gosling just firing wide of the left upright.

Aké then made a difficult pass back to Boruc and the keeper hit his pass out straight to Arfield, but it fell back kindly for Boruc to clear second time. Aké at centre-back needed to tighten up his game a bit. Fraser was enjoying the space going across the Burnley back line and forcing a shot that ran out to Afobe who made Heaton make a diving save, down low to his left on seven minutes. 

AFCB were already looking very dangerous on the break and were now starting to get their passing game going as applause for Harry Arter began on eight minutes. Callum Wilson made a long run out to the right and won the first corner of the game. AFCb took it short and allowed Francis to find Gosling on the edge of the box who fired over the bar.

Arfield almost got Hendrick in for Burnley but AFCB's defence closed in well. Fraser was fouled by Defour in the middle of the pitch to give AFCb a free kick, but nothing came of it. Burnley went straight down the other end and after a header from Aké, Lowtton played a ball up for Hendrick who brought the ball down with one touch, took it on his knee, then smashed a shot straight into the top right corner. It was dipping viciously past Boruc. A stunning goal against the run of play on 12 minutes 1-0 Burnley.

Burnley then had a corner off of Gosling's block. Another clearance gave Burnley their second corner. A header from Mee was saved but Steven Ward bundled over a second goal on 15 minutes. Wilson was unable to clear the ball in front of Boruc.

AFCB responded with a corner, but it was a poor start from the Cherries. A Cook cross was cleared and Burnley were back on the break.

A long free kick saw Keane win another high ball and force yet another save from Boruc. The corner was kept out by Afobe and Arfield put the ball back for Vokes to head over.

Arter played a great cross field ball to Daniels who won an AFCB corner on 21 minutes. Steve Cook's effort went wide though. The ball was being won by Burnley in the air a lot of the time. Francis went in heavily on Boyd, before Adam Smith gave away a free kick.

Afobe was having trouble getting any pass success. Meanwhile, Boruc was called to come out in front of Arfield. Even when Afobe won the first header, Burnley were getting there for the second ball. 

Callum Wilson was pulled up for a foul on Mee giving Burnley another chance to launch a ball into the box. A good turn from Smith set Afobe on an attack, but he did not beat his man.

Gosling then won a free kick and AFCB looked for away to get back into the game. Fraser was looking magnificent coming forward but he could not get his pass in for Wilson. Lowton tried to weave his way into the box but was blocked out.

Arter took a knock and also received a yellow card for a pull back, before having received a kick in the face from Mee's follow through - ouch! That was his fifth yellow of the season. Gosling fouled Hendrick next and won another free kick just outside the box.

The break away saw Gosling, Smith and Francis rush up the right wing, but they were soon held up. Burnley were enjoying the possession now as they started to see their physical side paying off. Smith and Fraser linked well before Afobe was fouled by Marney in a good shooting position for the Cherries on 37 minutes.

With no Stanislas on the pitch it was left to Adam Smith to try his luck, but Marney pushed it over for a corner. Arter was next to have a shot that deflected out for another corner. The pressure was relieved when Adam Smith committed a foul.

With 40 minutes gone the Cherries were finding their way into Burnley's last third but could not find a delivery from wide. Vokes put a ball up for Defour but he was well offside.

Back came AFCB. Gosling was getting repeatedly fouled by Boyd and won a free kick. Fraser then put in a cross but it was headed away for a corner. Adam Smith's chip back in was well over the top. With time running out in the half a cross from the right from Simon Francis saw Afobe unmarked on the penalty spot and he smashed it past Heaton 1-2 - a lifeline! That was after a minute and 20 second of extra time, but it was a minimum of a minute by the referee so Dyche has no reason to complain

AFCB official tweeted stats.

Second Half

AFCB love doing things the hard way. 0-2 down last week and 2-1 down now - can they pull the game back? Burnley had a n early shot with a Ward run up the right when it looked like the ball had run out of play.

Fraser, now Daniels puts a great ball in and Afobe can not get a good contact! Chance missed. He was unmarked and had a free shot! 

Hendrick is now offside.  Francis bring the Cherries forward. Afobe getting much more involved and Smith fires wide. Bournemouth are retaining possession well now. Fraser wins a free kick off of Lowton. 

Francis and Smith are putting pressure on Burnley. Afobe wins a corner battling with Boyd. AFCB work the ball left to right but Francis loses the ball. Arfield is now yellow carded for a foul on Francis. 

Vokes and Defour come off on 55 minutes and are replaced by André Gray and Ashley Barnes. And straight away Barnes has a chance and fires just over the top! 

Fraser goes racing down the right and wins a corner off Keane when it looked a foul. Arter has a shot, but it's scooped over. Jack Wilshere gets ready to come on. Steve Cook takes a long through and Fraser recovers it but takes a knack from Gray.

Wilshere comes on for Callum Wilson on 59 minutes. Cook wins the header in the box but it falls kindly to Heaton. AFCB are pushing but Cook gives the ball away and Gosling takes a card for blocking Hendrick.

AFCB just about dealt with the ball in, as Barnes headed the second ball wide as Boruc comes out. Wilshere puts a great ball to Afobe who is touched by Keane but no free kick! 

AFCB's possession is up to 73%. AFCB are having to do some defending now. Golsing wins a free kick though deep in AFCB's half. AFCB are pinning Burnley in. It's one-way traffic. Can they get a shot on target? 67 minutes on the clock. Burnley win a free kick.

Aké heads away. But Ward heads down to Gray and Boruc saves well, point blank range. Boyd is now yellow carded.

Fraser now, Wilshere out to Francis but his cross is far too strong. Arter comes forward but the ball is lost. Burnley are resorting to long high balls.

Smith catches Arfield. Josh King replaces Dan Golsing with 18 minutes to go. King almost robs Mee. Fraser now can't quite find anyone in the box. Fraser plays a long ball for King but Heaton drops on it just in time, facing his own goal.

Francis loses control. Gray and Boyd finds space in the box, and he has steered his shot into the far corner 3-1 on 76 minutes.

AFCB have a corner. Arter and Wilshere try and work something but the ball is cleared. King fouls Mee. Gray wins a corner off of Aké. Barnes fires over.

Arter plays it wide to Fraser, but he fires wide. It's his last action as he is replaced by Pugh on 81 minutes. Ball over the top but Gray is offside.

Pugh goes down in the box and it his legs were taken by Lowton ,but no penalty was given.Cook drives in a low cross that is cleared. Cook has the long throw, Aké has a shot blocked and Pugh wins a corner.

Gray on the break against Wilshere and Boruc saves at the second attempt. Wilshere loses possession and Gray is offside. 

Marney clears as AFCB continue to ask questions. Gray on the break goes to Arfield. AFCB have the ball again., but Arter give sit away. Burnley down the right and the pull back for Arfield who pulls his shot wide!

Pugh wins a free kick. This has to be launched into the box. Francis and Akee win headers but there's no way through. A long ball over the top from Wilshere and Afobe slots home, but it is disallowed for handball. The ball was slightly cradled at the top of Afobe's chest but that's harsh!

Arter sees a shot blocked. Four minutes of added time go up and AFCB win a corner. It's 3-2 as Daniels scores top left corner! A great turn and and powerful shot from AFCB's left back.

Burnley sub Boyd with Tarkowski. Here come AFCB! Cook fouls Barnes. Wilshere in but it's straight out. Goal kick to Burnley. Barnes wins the ball unchallenged and Boruc launches the ball then down field. King fires wide! 

AFCB may well count themselves unlucky not to have made it two comebacks in a row, especially with Afobe's disallowed goal in the second half and a disputed penalty on Pugh. Burnley were stretched at times but Heaton did not have to make enough saves and that is something that Howe will ask questions about despite the side scoring twice in the game. The away record does not look that great for AFCB and it is probably a good thing that they have a couple of home games now to get back some points lost at Burnley.

Heaton, Lowton, Keane, Mee, Ward, Defour (Barnes 55), Marney, Arfield, Hendrick, Boyd (Tarkowski 90+2), Vokes (Gray 55)

Burnley Subs
Robinson, Flanagan, Gray, Barnes, Kightly, Bamford, Tarkowski

Boruc, A Smith, Francis (c), S Cook, Daniels, Gosling (King 72), Ake, Arter, Fraser (Pugh 81), C Wilson (Wilshere 59), Afobe

Federici, Mings, B.Smith, Wilshere, Pugh, Ibe, King

AFCB Ratings
Boruc 5, A Smith 5, Francis 6, S Cook 6, Daniels 7, Gosling 5, Ake 5, Arter 6, Fraser 7,
C Wilson 5, Afobe 6

Referee Watch: Martin Atkinson 3/10 crucial decision on Afobe disallowed goal - I don't feel he got it right.

1 comment:

  1. prediction about playing afObe with
    Wilson paid off...and they should stick together now for a while

    However it's the defence that is the concern...with nine goals conceded in last three games is a recipe for big problems ahead and the manager must consider making changes to the back five....

    Maybe it's time for mings to get his chance or if the manager refuses to play him then put him out on loan for game time...maybe Marc Wilson
    Or ake and time for Brad smith..whatever the choices..the status quo cannot remain