Sunday, 4 November 2018

AFCB hit by Rashford's sucker punch 1-2

Match Report
AFCB 1 v 2 Man Utd
3 November 2018
Attendance: 10,792
Man Utd snatch a late win at Dean Court.
Marcus Rashford stole three points from the cherries right at the death in what had been a fairly even game with both teams passing up opportunities to win the game before Rashford''s intervention. Bournemouth had begin well with Callum Wilson's seventh goal of the season. Fraser had already passed up a chance to score before that and Brooks might well have had a good penalty shout, when he was bundled over by Luke Shaw. United found a way back into the game with an equaliser from Martial on 35 minutes after good work from Sanchez. From that moment on it looked like Bournemouth might struggle to regain the initiative. It was Mourinho's second half subs that won the game –  Rashford and Lingard found the movement to hurt Bournemouth. Ninety minutes of good work would be undone with one break and AFCB were left to feel sorry for themselves when a point was certainly obtainable.
Remembrance for the fallen. 
A few years ago it would have been a privilege just to play Man Utd and suffer a 1-2 defeat. But today it is a disappointment. Had Howe made more positive substitutions then perhaps he could have changed the course of the second half. Jermain Defoe and Lys Mousset may wonder if it is worth warming up on the sidelines on a Saturday afternoon. But in truth, Mourinho had stars on his bench and Howe had his best team on the pitch already with not enough quality on the bench to step up another level. That may change in January, but more likely in the summer, if the board give Howe the money he could have for the training pitch.

Ken gives a pre-match interview on Man Utd's chances at Dean Court.

Eddie Howe moved Charlie Daniels to the bench and played three at the back for the second game running, while Junior Stanislas lined up in attack with Wilson and Brooks.

There are more images on Match Day Gallery.

Bournemouth almost made the perfect start with Wilson finding Fraser free through the middle, but the Scotsman pushed himself wide and could only find De Gea's legs rather than the net. It was Manchester United that the began to win a couple of corners as Sanchez and Martial tested Simon Francis. 

The Cherries were quick when they did come forward with Adam Smith and Ryan Fraser. Wilson might have done better with a flicked shot on 10 minutes, but de Gea made the save. Another Bournemouth move from Brooks saw Adam Smith get into the box and cross for Stanislas who had his shot deflected off of Luke Shaw for a corner. It was sparkling stuff from the Cherries.

Bournemouth would take the lead after the corner, when Lewis Cook played a great reverse ball down the line and the cross that came in from Stanislas was sweetly struck by Wilson who reeled off in celebration of opening the scoring on 11 minutes.

Lerma was enjoying getting the better of Paul Pogba while Adam Smith put in a speculative cross that just bobbled wide of the right hand post. Francis was still crunching his tackles in on Martial to much applause.

An error from Lewis Cook at the back almost let Martial in but the forwards turn clipped the ball on to far and Begovic could grab the ball just in time. United tried the long ball up to Sanchez but Begovic was ready for it.


Fast passing from Francis and Wilson got Stanislas in a good position to shoot but he couldn't beat de Gea. Steve Cook was sliding in to stop Fred from making a break and Brooks was then unlucky not to win a penalty appeal when Luke Shaw went crashing into the back of him.

Bournemouth were defending well around their box with Lewis Cook on the floor but still able to clip the ball away from Pogba. Aké was sticking close to Martial, too.

A corner won by Wilson on 33 minutes came out to Lewis Cook who hit a good drive but it was blocked by a United defender. 

United broke down the right next with Young before Sanchez made the most of it getting to the byline and cutting the ball back where Martial made no mistake, scoring from near the penalty spot on 35 minutes.

United were confident now and Mata shot wide four minutes later. Bournemouth might have gone ahead again on 42 minutes with Stanislas setting Fraser away again, but Fraser could only find the side netting.
Equal at half-time.
Second half
The second half came alight when when Fraser outpaced the United defence and passed to Brooks at the near post. The Welshman looked to have scored by back heeling the ball goal wards, but de Gea made a world-class save! 

Aké put a header wider from a corner shortly after. Matic was carded for a handball which was duly well received by the Bournemouth fans as the referee had missed many more poor fouls that should have received yellow cards.

A run from Luke Shaw cut open Bournemouths defence, but Begovic was brave and made a the save to force a corner.

Martial almost found away through but Francis and Begovic kept him out. Mata was replaced by Rashford on 56 minutes and Herrera came on for Fred.

Lerma was booked soon after for a foul on Herrera. Stanislas also picked up a yellow card for fouling Ashley Young. From the free kick Young hit the bar and the ball bounced around the six yard box with Aké making a block from Rashford and another shot was cleared off the line by Brooks.

United were in control now and Pogba was starting to play, finding Herrera who bent his shot inches wide of the left upright from 20 yards out. Pogba next put his shot over,

Bournemouth were hanging in with Brooks' deflected shot from the edge of the box carefully caught by de Gea running backwards. Another Brooks' effort bounced off his leg before he could get hold of it properly.

Wth United on top Fraser was subbed for Ibe on 74 minutes. A Bournemouth corner was beautifully flicked on by Wilson at the near post but no AFCB player could get to the flick on. Ibe won another corner, but Aké and Steve Cook got in each others way.

United subbed Sanchez and brought on Lingard on 78 minutes. United were pushing for the win with Herrera's cross coming of Aké and Begovic just managing to keep the ball out.

A great Bournemouth passing move then saw Brooks on the left side of the box hit a fierce shot that de Gea clung on to. Young was booked after fouling Adam Smith, but Smith was also carded as he kicked the ball away. 

Pogba had a shot blocked before Ibe made a great run out of defence. Lingard saw his shot saved before four minutes of added time went up. Howe subbed Stanislas for Surman. In the next few seconds a cross from the left drifted over Aké and landed between Adam Smith and Rashford. Rashford reacted best to smash the ball in from six yards! United had won it 1-2 in the 92nd minute. Rashford was booked though for his celebration.
Howe has to reflect on the end of the unbeaten record.
This was a game that Bournemouth will look back on and be annoyed that they got nothing from it. They should have taken a point and could have won it if their shooting had been more accurate. A draw would have been fair. But United had the quality to win the game. Eddie Howe knows that his side can hurt the top teams though and they have to take that confidence into future games.
AFCB Subs: Boruc, Daniels, Surman, Gosling, Ibe, Mousset, Defoe.
AFCB Ratings
Begovic 7, Francis 8, S Cook 7, Aké 7, A Smith 6, L Cook 6, Lerma 6, Fraser 7, Brooks 7, Stanislas 6, Wilson 7

Man United
De Gea, Young, Smalling, Lindelöf, Shaw, Fred (Herrera 56), Matic, Pogba,
Mata (Rashford 56), Sánchez (Lingard 78), Martial

United Subs
Romero, Darmian, McTominay, Jones, Herrera, Rashford, Lingard

Ref Watch: Paul Tierney 1/10 - afraid to give decisions against the big teams. Had a disappointing game.

No Cherry Chimes T-shirt winner this week.

No comments:

Post a comment